Sunday 22 May 2011

4 down, 6 to go

Just over a month ago I posted a list of 10 books on my 'to read' list. I've now read four of them:
mail (1280×960)
And I've also read Irma Voth, reread American Wife (we did have a great book group discussion - lots to say about it, and a big discussion about compromise in relationships) and I've almost finished Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.

mail (1280×960)
Quite a varied month's reading - with prize winners and big classics as well as a book blurbed as 'the perfect holiday read'. Round about a Pound a Week is the oldest of the books (first published 1913), and the next oldest in this stack is American Wife (2008).

I wonder how many of the books that are currently sold as literary fiction will still be read in 100 years time?

2 comments:

  1. Well done! It's a great feeling when you read books that you've set as a target. Great question about what books published today will endure... not many, I suspect, but tastes change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cristina. Rachel at booksnob posted very recently about books going out of fashion very quickly - I'd really recommend her post: http://bookssnob.wordpress.com/2011/05/23/other-novels-for-the-discriminating-reader/

    ReplyDelete