Sunday 19 February 2012

World Book Night - here we come!

Monday April 23rd is World Book Night - and I've been picked as one of 20,000 givers across the country. I'm going to be handing out copies of The Remains of the Day, which is one of my favourite ever books. 

I still remember reading it during my A-levels - it was the first time I'd really been so aware of a fallible narrator and the magical power of an author to create a credible character, present the world through their eyes but let us see other perspectives too. I'd read a lot of other books which used irony and a semi-detached tone to similar effect, but this remains one of the best and most affecting examples I've ever read.

As the World Book Night people say: the greatest reading journeys start when you put a book in to someone's hand and say 'this one's amazing, you have to read it' 

Anyone else lucky enough to get picked? And is anyone planning any events?

No comments:

Post a Comment