Wednesday 20 April 2011

Facing up to a difficult decision

Have you ever faced a decision that's tough not just because it's complicated, but because all of the options could be great? 

I've got that at the moment at work - and although I know I should be happy to have so many good things available to me, in fact I'm feeling physically sick about having to make a choice. It doesn't help that I'm then also feeling bad about not just being happy. 

I've tried pros and cons, I've had coffee with a trusted friend, I've taken advice, perspective (and a bit of coaching) from my boss and several other senior people I trust. Some people helped me identify more options, some people helped me get clearer about what matters. I was advised to plump for one option (but not tell anyone) and see whether my guts felt it was right or not. I got taught to use BRAINS (benefits, risks, alternatives, instinct, could you do nothing, and then smile about whatever decision you end up taking) to make a decision. 

I'm fairly sure that most of the outcomes will be good. And still I'm sweating it. Have you ever faced this kind of thing? What would you do?


2 comments:

  1. I like the BRAINS model - I've not heard of that one before.

    I have to admit that my opportunities tend to come on each other's heels rather than all at once, so this isn't a problem I'm familiar with - I can see why it would be upsetting though.

    I hope that you manage to find a reason to pick just one, and that you're very happy with the decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - I'm on my way to a choice, I think a bit of time away from work is just helping things to find their own level in my brain. And I am lucky to be in this place too.

    ReplyDelete